Friday, April 29, 2005

All alone in the mooonlightttt...

In comments, show us the location of your best memor(ies).

Mine is:

Solid State, formerly La Luna

Site of many, many shows in the early to middle 90's; at one time I was going 2-3 times a week. Hazel, Heatmiser (Elliot Smith's first band), Big Daddy Meat Straw...and the Dandy Warhols.

I don't think I was at the very first Dandys show, but it was close. And it's not like we're talking Sex Pistols Manchester 1976, but there was something special about those days - and it wasn't just Zia taking her shirt off during every show (does she still do that?)

The next few months were spent seeing them at every opportunity, tracing handstamps with sharpies to try to get into over 21 shows around town. That first show may not have been my best memory of La Luna, but it's one of the most lasting.

Anyway, post your own in comments.

4 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

McGlinchys is the dive bar that lesser dive bars aspire to be. Many good times, several very bad mornings, and probably quite a bit of stuff I can't recall which is probably for the best. Well worth a visit.

12:20 PM

 
Blogger Chris said...

Since I mentioned McGlinchys, it's only right that I point out my current dive bar of choice, The Locust Bar. A truly trashy establishment if ever there was one. You can read a bit more about it here. The subway rumbles underneath, the patrons are prone to violence and the beer is cheap. My kind of place.

7:56 PM

 
Blogger Auguste said...

so we used to make layered 4 track tapes of ambient sounds and noise along with recorded performance art pieces

Sgo,

that reminds me of 24 Hour Party People, which I saw recently and is my new favorite film, at least until I see Dig! (speaking of the Dandys)...anyway, Tony Wilson tracks down Martin Hannett to ask him to produce what would become Unknown Pleasures(one of the twenty best albums ever recorded), and finds Hannett on top of a cliff with a shotgun microphone. He calls to him from below:

Wilson: "What are you doing?"

Hannett: "Recording the silence."

Wilson: "Recording silence?"

Hannett: "Well, now I'm recording Tony fucking Wilson."

12:09 AM

 
Blogger asenetpro said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

This is a posting promoting music related info on my site free music business contract site/blog. It pretty much covers recording related stuff. my site is free for all to list their event post classified ad and to just post forum for hard to find info and many other thing music related. So if you are a dj, musician, producer, manager, engineer, artist, singer, dancer or have anything music related please visit my site and join to post all your info

Joining is free for all list your site plus more

free music business contract

1:16 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home